Sunday, December 30, 2012

Charter Oak, From Trash to Treasure


Beneath the dense, black grease lies the pattern I know so well. The detail is buried and will not be seen by most; but it's one of my favorites and I know it's embellishment of leaves and acorns by heart -- if not by hand. This silverware is both strong and graceful, heavy and feminine. It is a wonderful representation of its name: Charter Oak.  It is not necessarily rare, but it is hard to find at a reasonable price.  These are priced right, but there is always a risk that beneath the grime, a once-beautiful piece will be tarnished, pitted and scarred beyond repair. I decide to take the risk! 



The chemical cleaners do a great job, but nothing beats an old toothbrush and some toothpicks. Then it's time for buffing with old socks. This trio used up five old socks -- luckily, with three boys, I have an endless supply of buffing materials!!


The transformation is amazing! These pieces are in pristine condition- full of lustre and shine -- and the gorgeous leaves and acorns are revealed! Just beautiful!


Charter Oak
Manufactured by International-1847 Rogers Bros. c. 1906

*These pieces are available for purchase at my Etsy shop https://www.ogdenarthaus.etsy.com

Charter Oak Spoon Keychain

3 comments:

  1. Barbara......

    WOW... LOVE THESE! I could buy your WHOLE SHOP OUT. I truly love your Key Rings.

    People are always looking at mine. Maybe I need ONE OF THESE TOO~ I mean the name is CHARTER OAK... I'm WHITE **OAK** ROOM.. Seems only fitting to me!!

    SENSATIONAL AS ALWAYS! ( TOTALLY LOVE MY BEVELED GLASS STAR ORNAMENTS..DID I MENTION THAT BEFORE??? LOL LOL LOL ~)

    Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jayne,
    You make me smile!! Thanks for your uplifting words and your constant support!
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete